A NUMBER OF IMPORTANT REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD PURCHASE OWNER’S TITLE INSURANCE
Owner’s Title Insurance, which is a one-time fee, will not only protect you against the hidden risks listed below that would not be disclosed by even the most meticulous search of public records, but also will pay for the legal fees attendant to the defense of your title as insured.
- fraud (misrepresentation) in connection with the execution of documents
- undue influence (under pressure) or grantor (seller) or executor (of a will)
- false impersonation by those purporting to owners of the property
- incorrect representation of marital status of a grantor (seller)
- in some cases, disclosed or missing heirs
- in some cases, wills not properly probated
- in some cases mistaken interpretation of wills and trusts
- mental incompetence of a minor
- conveyance of a minor
- in some cases, birth of heirs subsequent to the date of a will
- in some cases, inadequate surveys
- in some cases, incorrect legal descriptions
- non-delivery of deeds
- unsatisfied claims not shown on the record
- deeds executed under false power of attorney
- in some cases, confusion due to similar or identical names
- in some cases, dower or courtesy rights of ex-spouses of former owners
- incorrect indexing at Registries of Deeds
- clerical errors in recording legal documents
- delivery of deeds after death of grantor
A Lender’s Policy protects the Lender, not the Borrower. Some Borrowers are under the mistaken impression that since they have to pay for the lender’s policy it will cover them if there is a title issue, that is not accurate, the Lender’s policy ONLY protects the Lender.
Title Insurance Brochure can be found here.